Review: Someboby's Lover by Jasmine Haynes

by 10/26/2013 0 comments
ebook
Published January 15th 2013 
by Jasmine Haynes (first published June 27th 2006)

Widowed three years ago and the mother of two, Taylor Jackson is starting to feel that life as a woman is passing her by. Always somebody’s daughter-in-law, somebody’s mother, or somebody’s sister-in-law, Taylor longs to be somebody’s secret lover.

Taylor was his brother’s wife, and now his brother’s widow, untouchable yet irresistible to Jace Jackson. When he discovers her secret fantasies, Jace swears he’ll be the one to make them reality.

But can his family ever accept another man in Taylor’s life, let alone the black sheep of the family? Or will their grief and pain destroy any chance Jace has of being more to Taylor than her secret lover?

Previously published in 2006 in the anthology “Somebody’s Lover” by Jasmine Haynes.

My Thoughts

I loved the premise of this book. It felt kinda like a second chance romance to me from the blurb, and I like those. The cover was beautiful, and I was excited to pick this read. 

Jace: I liked that he was an upright guy. He'd been in love with Taylor since he was a kid, but he never made a move on her because she was his brother's girl. Then his brother's wife. Then, his brother's widow. He got used to burying his feelings for her. One kiss changes that for Jace though, and he knows that when he says he's just meeting her need for sex, for release, that he's lying to himself, that he'll never get enough of her. 

Taylor: I wish her character had been a bit better developed. She loved her husband, but she comes to realize she loved his family more. That she never felt for him what she is now feeling for Jace. I liked that she wasn't still a grieving, broken hearted herione, that she had picked up the pieces of her life to move on enough to want to be somebody's--anybody's--lover, but she felt two dimensional to me. 

To be honest, everyone felt two dimensional to me in this novel. I'd like to blame it on the fact that really, it's a novella. Or an extremely short novel. 1.1 MB isn't a lot I don't think, and probably isn't novel sized, strictly speaking. But I've read plenty of books that are shy of two hundred pages and they often leave me feeling devastated. This one just didn't do it for me. It was lack luster. The story seemed on the fringes and the sex scenes took center stage. A lot of promise because the writing was neat, the characters rich in potential but something fell short in the execution for me. But, despite my rather disinterested opinion, please read this novel if you like the premise--different strokes for different folks. 

2 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: