Review: The Singer by Elizabeth Hunter

by 5/12/2014 0 comments
Paperback
Published May 6th 2014 
by CreateSpace
Series: Irin Chronicles, #2
My Rating:     
Genre: Urban Fantasy

When you've lost everything you love, how do you fight the darkness?

Ava left Istanbul with a new identity, new name, and new magic she could barely control. Laid low by Malachi's sacrifice, she searches for help from the fabled Irina. But will the secretive women of the Irin race welcome or shun her? Ava's origins are still a mystery, and her powers are darker than any they've encountered before.

The Irin world hangs in the balance. And as the children of angels battle their own demons, ancient rivalries among the Fallen threaten to wreak havoc on earth.

Thousand of miles away, a warrior wakes with no memory of his identity or his people. Stumbling though the dark and twisted schemes of fallen angels, ravenous Grigori, and even his own leaders, he must find a way back to the one thing he remembers. A single voice calls him. Malachi has one mission. 

                                                                     
                                                                      "Come back to me."


I was devastated at the end of The Scribe for Ava, yet I was also filled with a sense of hope. Elizabeth Hunter wrote a moving, poignant and beautiful ending to the first novel in this trilogy. So, if you'll remember, I was on pins and needles waiting for book two, The Singer to be released. And luckily I didn't have to wait too long. 

This time, it's hard to know what to say. I absolutely loved the novel, and that's the truth. It was hard to see Ava and Malachi apart, each longing for the other. But it was also wonderful to see them together as they dreamwalked. It reminded me that even though Malachi was...only mostly himself, that what he and Ava had transcended even death. Their love is somehow greater than the physical reality we know as life and death. It's soul deep and nothing can mess with that. I think I'm in love with that idea because it's so utterly romantic and touching and just beautiful. It broke my heart when they finally meet for the first time in months, but it also made me melt. Elizabeth Hunter wonderfully writes emotion, and doesn't shy away from intensity. 

So knowing that, knowing that these soul mates would find each again, made the book really easy reading. And it was a thrilling read. We learn more about the Irina, more about Ava's past--though that is still shrouded in mystery--and we learned that the Irin are deeply divided politically speaking. I have a sneaking feeling something is rotten in Vienna. But more importantly, we see Ava coming into her powers. I have a feeling she hasn't even tapped into the tip of the iceberg that are her powers, but she finally sings, astounding all the Irina with her ability to share her visions with them. But...there's something dark lurking around Ava too. It'd be easy for me as a reader to assume that it's one of the Fallen angels, namely Jaron. But something nags at me. Both Jaron and Malachi have now told Ava "Do not fear the darkness." Which has me thinking maybe the darkness isn't so...sinister. I could speculate all day long, but there's hardly any point in that. I'll only drive myself crazy! If only Book Three was due out soon! This series has it all: romance, magic, mystery, a beautiful and compelling play of emotion, and a storyline that just keeps you guessing. It's been a long while since I read anything so completely engrossing. A mesmerizing tale you simply gotta read!


Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: