Review: Hillbilly Rockstar by Lorelei James

by 8/13/2014 0 comments
Paperback400 pages
Published August 5th 2014 
by NAL Trade
Series: Blacktop Cowboys, #6
My Rating: 
Genre: Contemporary, Erotic Romance

Country music star Devin McClain understands there’s a downside to life in the public eye, but the laidback Wyoming cowboy has never imagined he’d attract crazed fans who would do anything to garner his attention. When veiled threats become real, he agrees to hire a discreet security detail. But Devin is shocked when that bodyguard is a hard-bodied woman. He’s even more stunned to be attracted to the steely-eyed stunner.

Former soldier Liberty Masterson’s return to civilian life has been wrought with challenges until she lands a job with a prestigious security firm. But when she agrees to provide personal protection during a cross-country tour, she doesn’t realize she has signed up to masquerade as the playboy star’s girlfriend. Though she’s more comfortable in combat boots than high heels, she has no choice but to appear to be the sexy groupie Devin prefers.

Living in close quarters causes the chemistry between them to ignite, and Devin realizes he wants to turn their charade of a romance into reality. Although Liberty surrenders to his every whim behind closed doors, she fears the sexy country star doesn’t see the real her; and Devin can’t help but worry when the tour ends that there might not be enough between them to build something that won’t fade away...

Lorelei James is an author I was introduced to some years ago, and I was thoroughly impressed with how much romance she infused into her erotic romances. And this one is no different--the main characters are well developed, they clearly have strong feelings for another and the bedroom antics are, as usual with Lorelei James, smokin'.

Devin is a sweetheart--he isn't at all an arrogant rock star, which you might expect when a character is a celebrity. But he instead he's a good ol' boy, with charm and old fashioned pride which made him so easy to like. Add in the things he gets up to in the bedroom and he's a rockin' hot hero. I liked that it was Devin who was the first to really admit his feelings in this relationship, and the one to pursue it even when it seemed that his life and Liberty's life were so different. 

I've noticed that Lorelei James likes to craft very strong, independent heroines, and Liberty is no different. She's got something of a mouth on her, but she's also vulnerable at times and well balanced, not afraid to get in Devin's face--which made her very attractive to him. And which made her a lot of fun to read. I was glad she wasn't stupidly stubborn about her conviction that she and Devin couldn't realistically build a life together, something some heroines are which tends to get a bit exasperating. 

The story had a bit of suspense element to it that keeps you wondering throughout who is targeting Devin, and why. It's not however the focus of the book, but it added a refreshing element to an erotic romance--at least in my reading experience. So, all in all, this book had it all--tight, logical plot, great character development and erotic romance that did leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. So why only the three star rating? I think that's because that's all I really experienced--a warm and fuzzy feeling. I can't honestly say I went in with certain expectations that weren't met, but the novel didn't wow me. I like to be wowed, or at least highly entertained and in the case of this book, I didn't get exactly those things in the dosage that I needed. 

Overall, a well written erotic romance with some refreshing elements make this a thoroughly hot novel. 



Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: