Review: A Winter Wedding by Brenda Novak

by 11/18/2015 0 comments
Well, just the other day I was bemoaning the fact that nothing I had read of late had really shone for me. And then I read a book I simply could not put down. I haven't always liked the books in the Whiskey Creek series by Brenda Novak, but there are several that I have really loved and A Winter Wedding is certainly one of them.

Series: Whiskey Creek, #9 
My Rating:
Genre: Contemporary Romance

I had no idea what to expect from this book. I knew that Kyle was in love with his ex girlfriend, who inconveniently is married to his stepbrother, but not read having the prequel (which is about Olivia, his ex) I didn't have the whole backstory, but just the facts.

So I walked in with no expectations, and found in Kyle a hero to swoon over. I hadn't really liked him much because of some things had happened in the third book in the series, When Summer Comes but he had been a really good friend to Phoenix in This Heart of Mine and I was happy that his character was sweet, kind and perfect boyfriend material. He's not exactly looking for a relationship, he's had to deal with the fall out from a short marriage to Noelle, Olivia's sister, but when country music star Lourdes Bennett becomes his room mate, a romance is exactly what Kyle gets. And really needs. He thinks that he and Lourdes want such different things out of life that they can't make a go of a relationship, but he knows in his heart that he's no longer in love with Olivia, and that his heart belongs to Lourdes. I liked that because of Lourdes Kyle comes to realize that love endures. I also loved the fact that he didn't try to fool himself into thinking that it was best they were apart, that he was willing to try to find a way to be together and asked Lourdes to marry him.

I adored Lourdes. She was down to earth, mature and dealing with the hardships of life with true grace under fire. Yet, she's willing to help Kyle get over Olivia and stands by him while Noelle, his delusional and dangerous ex, tries her darnedest to make Kyle's life a living hell. I seriously did not like Noelle and felt no sympathy for her. I cheered when Kyle stood up for himself and protected Lourdes from her attacks by denying Noelle access to money that she had no right to. And I was more than happy to see her carted off to prison at the end of the novel as well. But I digress. Lourdes had lots of chances to back away from her friendship (which was quickly sliding into a romance) with Kyle and move back into her rental home, but instead she stuck by him until her dreams of returning to the top of the music charts pull her away.

The writing is spot on in this book, easy to read, and the romance is well developed. Lourdes and Kyle fit so well together that the book reads with perfect fluidity. I adored the ending where Lourdes crashes Riley and Phoenix's wedding, and I loved that she reveals her feelings so openly for Kyle. In short, I was swept away by this romance.

Happy Reading,
Jewels


Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: