Review: The Lion's Lady by Julie Garwood

by 9/16/2012 6 comments
Hello Readers and blog followers,

It's been a bit of a hetic week for me. I've actually gone through a few days of being unable to read because of the crazy in my head. However, before heading back into the work week, I thought I'd pop in, say hello and let you know about an author and book I love. Now, if you're any fan of romance, I'm sure you've heard of Julie Garwood. She's written a ton of books that have absolutely devastated me, so here is my review of The Lion's Lady, which I loved.

Summary

Paperback, Reissue, 384 pages
Published January 1991
by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group
 Christina Bennett had taken London society by storm. The ravishing beauty guarded the secret of her mysterious past until the night Lyon, Marquis of Lyonwood, stole a searching, sensuous kiss. An arrogant nobleman with a pirate's passions, he tasted the wild fire smoldering beneath Christina's cool charm and swore to posses her...

But the feisty and defiant Christina would not be so easily conquered. Mistress of her heart and of her fortune, she resisted Lyon's sensuous caresses. She dared not surrender to his love...for then, she must also forsake her precious secret...and her promised destiny!
Summary from Goodreads




Review

I was impressed with this novel. Christina being raised by Natives and then returning to England to honour her mother's request to bring her father to justice was definitely an interesting premise. The prologue nicely set the stage for this, as well as for Christina's character, and Jessica's journal developed this plot nicely without interfering with Lyon and Christina's romance, which was rather whirlwind and angry, but tender and joyful as well.

The characters were impressive as well. I think of all the Garwood heroes, Lyon is the one that I most understand. Crusty on the outside, but warm and sweet inside. His past gave him a bit more of a human feel than the usual warrior types as well. He's dangerous and stubborn, arrogant and all that jazz, but he's also very tender and loving. That he needs the "soft words" is really sweet, and I really loved the fact that it was Lyon who declared his love for Christina first, and that it was him that did all the waiting and coaxing on the issue of trust. Usually it's the other way around, so that was a refreshing change. I like that his pride doesn't extend so far that he won't say "I love you" until Christina does. Strong and sensitive warrior? I love it.

Christina made me laugh. She's proud and strong willed and Lyon loves that about her. I love it when she divorces Lyon for shaming her. I love his reaction too. But most of all I love how she has everyone so damn confused, but so convinced of her sincerity that they'll do anything she asks, no matter how ridiculous it is from their point of view. Her strength is commendable too, to pull off the facade she did with her father. That kind of nerve is beyond daring in my opinion.

The supporting characters of Rhone and Diana were both amusing, and their little courtship made me grin. Lyon's mother was also funny near the end and I liked that Christina brought her back into the family circle. Hell, even the servants were great and that's what I like about Garwood, she really uses her supporting characters to show us who her hero and heroine are, and that makes her books a great read.

5 glittering stars


Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

6 comments:

Mel P said...

I love this book as well!! I still laugh at how Christina tricked Lyon's mother into coming back to life and to stop talking about Lyon's brother. LOL!

Jewels E said...

Agreed! Garwood uses humour so well I'm often laughing out loud.

Karolina said...

Nice review hun, I forgot to tell you that you have infected me with romance virus. Since I tried some of Kleypas books I can't stop, and I think it's going to be the same with Ms Garwood. How did I not read any of her books yet?

Jewels E said...

I don't know :) But she's also awesome, and you will love her! I'm so excited for you.

ShadyLane said...

Great review! new follower, found you on goodreads!
Feel to stop by my blog and check it out!

http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

Jewels E said...

So glad to see you on here ShadyLane. I can't wait to read CrossBreeds :)