Review: The Kingdom by Amanda Stevens

by 8/29/2014 0 comments
Mass Market Paperback1st Edition
Published March 27th 2012 
by Mira 
(first published January 1st 2012)
Series: The Graveyard Queen, #2
My Rating:      
Genre: Urban Fantasy 

Deep in the shadowy foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains lies a dying town

My name is Amelia Gray. They call me The Graveyard Queen. I've been commissioned to restore an old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but I'm coming to think I have another purpose here.

Why is there a cemetery at the bottom of Bell Lake? Why am I drawn time and again to a hidden grave I've discovered in the woods? Something is eating away at the soul of this town, this withering kingdom, and it will only be restored if I can uncover the truth.

I have been itching read this book since I read the first in the series, The Restorer. This novel was entirely different--Amelia is in some strange little town (and when I say strange, I mean strange) and everyone in this strange little town is...strange. I mean, really weird. Just reading about some of these characters gave me the hebejebes. As in the creeps. From the opening pages you get this sense that Asher Falls is in some way, evil. Possessed. Haunted. And it's all of those things. 

Amelia feels the preternatural nature of the town, is even repelled by it, but something seems to be holding her there. At first, it's the fact that she's been hired to do a restoration. But then it becomes clear that something else is compelling her to stay. Which gave her the creeps and made me shudder. I was left wondering why Amelia felt so attached to this odd little ghost town that any sane person would get the heck out of--but the reasons, once revealed are compelling. And shocking.
Book Three

The unusual, creepy setting made this book very different from the first one, as I've said. What was unexpected was that Amelia was drawn to Thane Asher--even though she's not over Devlin. Who is mysteriously seeking Amelia out. Which leaves me with some questions about the series as a whole--can Amelia leave Asher Falls and Thane behind her? What role will Devlin and his ghosts play in her life? Will these two plot lines meet? And how? I'm so fraught by questions that I don't know which to contemplate first!

This series is chilling--written with languid fluidity that draws you in and captures you from the first words till the last. And the last words in this book leave you hanging, wanting more of Amelia's story. Eerie and delicious, you'll not regret reading this novel.



Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: