Review: The Girl from Summer Hill by Jude Deveraux

by 7/22/2018 0 comments
I read this novel on a whim, liking the blurb and I am so glad I did. I wasn't exactly expecting the Pride and Prejudice spoof that this novel turned out to be, despite the synopsis but I think that's what I enjoyed the most about this novel. Casey and Tate were their own characters, but they also mirrored Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, as other characters were foils for Bingley, Jane and Wickham. And this made the novel such a lot of fun!

My Rating:  5 ❀'s
Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Add to Goodreads

The novel opens with a very interesting scene in which Casey stumbles upon a rather naked Tate. You'll have to read the book to get more info on this, but suffice to say this pits the two at odds right from the get go and leads to scenes of further misunderstandings. Many of which will give you cause to smile. And giggle. Casey develops the opinion that Tate, a famous actor, is a snob and disdains him so much that she lands the role of Elizabeth in the local play, Pride and Prejudice.

I love the novel within the novel. The author does an amazing job using the plot from P&P to bring the characters together and to tell their stories while maintaining her own plot brilliantly. My hat goes off to Jude Deveraux for this as it made her own novel as bright and sparkly as Austen's. The scenes at the end in which the characters are re-enacting the novel are especially important in brining closure to several plot points, all while lending a modern interpretation to Austen's classic novel. Wickham for once, is suitably punished.

Casey and Tate's romance is far more involved than Darcy and Elizabeth as Casey spends much more of the novel in love with Tate than Elizabeth ever did with Darcy, and this will thrill the modern reader. Tate is a sweet, level headed man with a loyal heart and we see this right from the beginning even though it takes Casey some time to fully realize just what sort of a man Tate is, and the proposal scene goes far better for Tate than it did for Mr. Darcy. Which gave me (and I am sure gave many readers) the a le sigh feeling that will leave you light as a feather for days afterwards.

A fun, intelligent read, you can't go wrong with The Girl from Summer Hill. 

Happy Reading,
Jewels

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: