Review: Tempting the Beast by Lora Leigh

by 7/12/2012 0 comments
Summary
From www.goodreads.com
Callan Lyons is a genetic experiment. One of six fighting for freedom and the survival of their Pride. Merinus Tyler is the reporter who will tempt him, draw him, until the fury of the "mating frenzy" locks them into a battle of sexual heat there is no escape from.

Deception, blood, and the evil Genetics Council are hot on their trail. Callan will use his strength to try and save them both...and do all in his power to keep his woman in the process.




Review

This book is extremely difficult to review. The author has clearly begun to build a world that is layered and fraught with dangers. Honestly, the premise and the world building remind me very much of Christine Feehan's GhostWalkers series, and that's a good thing because it's a great series. But I have no idea how this series will turn out. 

To begin. I can why people continue to read this series, and I can also see why people do not continue to read this series.

Why I think readers continue to read this series:
The world building in this series has the potential to be be great.  It's too soon for me to say whether it is, or isn't; however genetically altered human beings who carry around animal DNA in them opens up a world of possibilities to which to take the series. The whole government plot to capture and use these individuals as weapons add on a layer of danger that makes this concept quite compelling. A really great paranormal premise and it certainly caught my attention. For those readers who enjoy explicit sex, this book provides plenty of that, and I'm guessing the series as a whole will deliver in that department.  For those of us who enjoy reading the alpha male hero, Callan is probably the most dominant alpha male ever.  Lora Leigh also does a fair job of building a bit of a back story with Kane and Sherra to lead into a later book, and gives us a glimpse in the epilogue to other Breeds.  So the groundwork is well laid and as a reader, that always piques my curiosity. 

Why I think readers do not continue to read this series:
There's a a lot of sex in this story. From beginning to end. It's constantly thrown at you and while I have no problems with explicit sexual content, there were times where I was thinking, "again?" It does take the attention off the world building and for the inattentive or distractible reader, it might seem like the story is all sex and nothing else.  Also, since our hero has lion DNA, his equipment and how it functions might gross some readers out. My sense of the ridiculous decided to go with it, but it might not fly with everyone.  Secondly, language and style. If characters feel like throwing around the f-bomb and crude vocabulary, I go with it and usually, it sets the tone. However, some readers might find the vocabulary choice a little offensive. Or a lot, depending.  Personally, the style bugged me more.  I found it extremely odd to go from reading a hot, raunchy bedroom scene, to hearing the characters carry on a conversation in very formalized language.  Every part of me that is an English teacher screamed, "no, no, no, tone, word choice, and where's my red pen?!" If I wasn't going to continue to read this series (and I'm pretty sure I am) that alone would be why.

So what to rate this book?

THREE glittering stars, for lots of promise and high drama.

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: