Review: What Happens in Scotland by Jennifer McQuiston

by 4/06/2013 2 comments
Mass Market Paperback384 pages
Published February 26th 2013 by Avon

Lady Georgette Thorold has always been wary of marriage, so when she wakes up next to an attractive Scotsman with a wedding ring on her finger, it’s easy to understand why she panics and flees. Convinced that Georgette is a thief, her may-be husband, James McKenzie, searches for her. As both try to recall what happened that fateful night, they begin to realize that their attraction and desire for each other is undeniable. But is it enough?

Fans of Sarah MacLean and Mary Balogh will enjoy this utterly charming historical romance from award-winning author Jennifer McQuiston that features unforgettable characters and a satisfying mix of adventure and passion.


My Thoughts

I was very excited when I discovered this book. The premise sounded fun, and I love stories where the couple are thrown into marriage rather unexpectedly. McQuiston wrote a winner of a book. It's light and funny, quirky, and romantic. She brings the reader on quite the ride as Georgette and James try and piece together the events of the night they both can't remember, events that led up to their marriage. The story was definitely a page turner.

Georgette: She's an independent woman, and I loved that about her. She was a bit at odds with herself. She didn't like the etiquette of society, the rules that kept her as the property of her husband, that didn't allow her to really be herself. Georgette's passionate and has spunk, but she's afraid of what people will think so she's followed the rules all her life. She's very happy to be a widow because she knows it gives her freedom that a woman wouldn't otherwise have. But there's the part of her that longs to be naughty, and I really enjoyed that about her. I liked that the end, she takes matters into her own hands, and goes after James even though he wants to handle things on his own.

James: I found him quite charming. His strong will and intelligence and stubborn pride only made him more charming, I thought. I liked that he wasn't the heir to his father's earldom. I thought it made him edgier, more raw. He had ghosts to battle with his position as a second son, but mostly the ghosts he had to battle were of a life with his family he thought the earldom had taken away from him. It was wonderful to see him interacting with his family because they weren't atypical peers. There was something vulnerable about James' character, and I loved to see him interacting with Georgette. He liked her strength, but he wasn't sure he could trust her. In the end, James decides to trust in them. 

The marriage might be something of a risk--after all, they barely know each other. They definitely both compliment and challenge each other, and although the story didn't unfold like I expected, McQuiston unravels a great romance story for us.  I think now that some of the issues of trust have come out into the open, that this couple will one for the ages.

4 glittering stars


Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I, too, loved this book & am looking forward to reading more by Jennifer McQuiston.

Jewels E said...

It was quite a fun read!