Review: The Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockmann

by 2/01/2016 0 comments
Over the years, you hear about a lot of good books. Too many of them (and I say this with tongue in cheek) end up on the TBR shelf. I have so many on that shelf it's kinda crazy, but I got to one recently that had been on there a long while that I have heard so many good things about. That book was The Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockmann.

Series: The Troubleshooters, #1 
My Rating: 3 's
Genre: Romantic Suspense

What we have in this story is a great contemporary romance. I can't fairly say it read like romantic suspense to me, though I suppose the final chapter was pretty gripping. I will admit to being disappointed that this novel was not more gripping. What also surprised me was the two subplots in the novel. So a lot about this book threw me, but in all honestly I thought the Charles/Joe/Cybele storyline could have been done with less detail and still added the needed elements tot the story. I felt like it detracted from Tom and Kelly's romance.

Tom and Kelly. What a couple. Right from the start it's clear how much they care about each other, how much they have always cared about each other. Their romance was a bit of a slow sizzle, which I like as a reader, but then I felt it became stilted as they were exploring a causal sex relationship that was clearly based in love which naturally led to hurt feelings and what to felt to me like angst. Both of these characters were dealing with huge difficulties and loss in their lives, but I still expected them to act with more maturity. Their romance, which seemed to be coming together so nicely, suddenly ungelled for me and never gelled again.
Book Two

While not the most gripping romantic suspense I've read, the novel was very well written and the subplots and plots merged smoothly. I liked all of the characters, even the grumpy Charles, I think it was because I liked them so much that I was disappointed in some of their choices, especially Tom and Kelly (or, more accurately Kelly) which is why the book fell a little flat for me in some places. Still, the sweet and sizzling romance moments and clean writing are enough for me to continue with the series. It shows promise for growth and I look forward to more of this series.

Happy Reading,
Jewels

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: