Review: Mine till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas

by 1/10/2013 0 comments
Hey Everyone!

I read an amazing Lisa Kleypas recently. I know, I know, I'm always saying that about her books. But it's always the truth, her books rock my romance world.

Summary from Goodreads 

Mass Market Paperback, 360 pages
Published October 2nd 2007
 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

ISBN
0312949804 (ISBN13: 9780312949808)
THEIR LIVES DEFY CONVENTION

When an unexpected inheritance elevates her family to the ranks of the aristocracy, Amelia Hathaway discovers that tending to her younger sisters and wayward brother was easy compared to navigating the intricacies of the ton. Even more challenging: the attraction she feels for the tall, dark, and dangerously handsome Cam Rohan.

THEIR DESIRE CONSUMES THEM BOTH...

Wealthy beyond most men's dreams, Cam has tired of society's petty restrictions and longs to return to his "uncivilized" Gypsy roots. When the delectable Amelia appeals to him for help, he intends to offer only friendship - but intentions are no match for the desire that blindsides them both. But can a man who spurns tradition be tempted into that most time-honored arrangement: marriage? Life in London society is about to get a whole lot hotter...


Review

So, I wanted to start the Hathaway series a while back, but a friend of mine on Goodreads told me to wait till I was done the Wallflowers series because the two series overlap a bit. I was so glad I waited. The Hathaway series features five novels, and the Hathaways are a set of siblings, four sisters and one brother and they each get their own book.

In the first book, Mine till Midnight, Amelia Hathaway, who is a rather straight laced, prim and proper Englishwoman, meets Cam Rohan. As in, Cam Rohan, the half gypsy character we first meet in Devil in Winter when Evie marries Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent and they take over her father's gaming club, Jenners. Cam was an interesting character in that novel, and even shared a kiss with Daisy, so I wasn't surprised to see him as Amelia's love interest.

And what a love interest he makes. Remember how much I love Sebastian? He's my imaginary boyfriend. Well, one of them. Since they are imaginary, I can have as many as I want, hehe. Well, Cam is just as breathtaking I think. You'll have to check back in a couple of weeks to see if he's list worthy. What can I say about Cam? Um....he makes Amelia's heart stop and unlaces her prim and properness altogether. And as I was reading Amelia's unravelling into love with this sweet, kind but very possessive seducer, my heart may have forgotten to beat for several seconds too. Kleypas knows how to make her heroes just wow. And you see this lovely inside cover the novel?

Now, just imagine Cam turned facing outwards, with a pooka tattooed on his right shoulder, a diamond stud in his ear and staring at you with smouldering hazel eyes. Because that is the picture Kleypas paints for you. And not only he is supposed to be outrageously good looking, he's also intelligent, level headed, and believes in fate. As in, we were meant to be together kind of fate. It's very romantic in this book and utterly swept me away thematically speaking. And I don't usually go in too much for the fate premise, but Kleypas boils this couple's love down to being willing to take the leap of faith into love and recognizing that sometimes you are supposed to follow paths you never thought you would follow, or should follow. Leo being haunted by a ghost finally allowed Amelia to realize that love is worth all sorts of risks, and into finally accepting Cam's proposal of marriage. And that really cinched this book into place for me as being utterly devastating. I really don't know how Ms. Kleypas does it, but she's yet to seriously disappoint me.

We get to see many of the Wallflower characters in this book. Sebastian, my darling in the series, has some great scenes. He always makes me laugh. He's so devilishly charming after all. We also get to see Westcliff, who is probably my second favourite Wallflower hero, and Lillian and Evie. It's great to get to see these characters I so love and feel connected to, continue their stories in small ways. Since the Hathaways are neighbours of the Westcliffs, I'm hoping we will get to see more of them in later novels. The next novel will wrap up Win and Merripin's romance (seems the Hathaway sisters have a thing for gypsy men) and I'm dying to read it. And I must say, I'm extremely upset to learn that I'll have to wait till the fifth book to get Leo's story. I was quite worried for him throughout this novel, and I was hoping I could get more of him sooner rather than later.

A great start to the series, and a novel that leaves you with a le sigh feeling.

Favourite Quotes

" 'Rohan, one of us is an unmarried man with superior mathematical abilities and no prospects for the evening. The other is a confirmed lecher in an amorous mood, with a willing and nubile young wife waiting at home. Who do you think should do the damned account books?' And, with a nonchalant wave, St. Vincent had left the office."

"Gamble! Drink! Buy a horse! Take a mistress! For God's sake, have a little imagination. Can you think of no better option than to throw it all away and live like a primitive, thereby inconveniencing me in the process? How the devil am I to replace you?"

"The fact that they were discussing Amelia Hathaway and the subject of marriage was enough to make Cam blanch. 'I'm not the marrying kind.-'
St. Vincent snorted. 'No man is. Marriage is a female invention.' "

"Cam took her shaking hand in his, pressed it between his warm palms. And touched his foot to her rapidly tapping one. 'Hummingbird,' he whispered, 'you don’t have to be nervous with me.' Gathering her courage, Amelia blurted out, 'I want your ring. I want never to take it off again. I want to be your romni forever'—she paused with a quick, abashed smile—'whatever that is.' 'My bride. My wife.' Amelia froze in a moment of throat-clenching delight as she felt him slide the gold ring onto her finger, easing it to the base. 'When we were with Leo, tonight,' she said scratchily, 'I knew exactly how he felt about losing Laura. He told me once that I couldn’t understand unless I had loved someone that way. He was right. And tonight, as I watched you with him . . . I knew what I would think at the very last moment of my life.'  His thumb smoothed over the tender surface of her knuckle. 'Yes, love?' 'I would think,' she continued, ‘ "Oh, if I could have just one more day with Cam. I would fit a lifetime into those few hours." "

"The Rom believe you should take the road that calls to you, and never turn back. Because you never know what adventures await." ... "So we're going to take this road," he murmured, "and see where it leads."


5 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: