Review: Matthew by Emma Lang

by 3/16/2016 0 comments
A while ago I picked up what I thought would a hot western novel. Because every now and then, it's fun to read a cowboy romance. And I tend to like the genre in moderation. So I recently decided to pick said hot western, which was Matthew by Emma Lang and mmm, was I surprised.


Series: Circle Eight, #1
My Rating: 4 's
Genre: Historical Romance

First of, I had forgotten that this was a historical romance. I have so many books that I can't always keep the details of all them straight in my head. So I was very happy when I realized, oh yeah, this is a historical set in the west! And I'll be honest, for the first fifteen or twenty percent of the novel, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. The premise seemed a bit awkward in the beginning, but it worked so nicely that my hat goes off to Ms. Lang.

Matthew needs to find himself a wife named a Hannah, and marries our heroine Hannah for no other reason that the fact that her name is Hannah. What works out so well is that while Matthew is marrying for convenience, that these two are immediately attracted to one another. I liked seeing how they found their footing with one another throughout the novel, and seeing them come to certain realizations and help one another. I adored seeing them fall in love. Matthew is a man with a bit of a temper, I'd describe him as passionate, and Hannah is just the woman for him. She is strong and funny and she doesn't take long to let Matthew know that she is no doormat. They soo worked as a couple. And the hanky panky was very realistic and tastefully done, drawing them closer together in the romance.

The most important theme in this series is going to be family I think. Matthew was very much about family and I hope that the crime that took place in this novel is more fully resolved in later novels. There is a piece of this family missing, and I hope that is a wound that can be healed. The only real compliant I have about this novel are some editing issues around language that I wasn't sure would be used in the west during this time period. It jarred me at points because it felt out of place, but I was able to get back into the story quickly enough. This series has a lot of potential, and Matthew was a really good introduction to a promising series with a wonderful couple and was a very enjoyable read. I'll be reading more of this series in the future.

Happy Reading,
Jewels

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: