Review: The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn

by 12/31/2012 2 comments
Hello all you lovely readers,

This is for all of you that love romance. You'll have to love this read. Because I can't imagine anyone not loving it. Enjoy!

Summary from Goodreads

Paperback, 371 pages
Published May 27th 2008
        by Avon

ISBN
0060876107 (ISBN13: 9780060876104)
Jack Audley has been a highwayman. A soldier. And he has always been a rogue. What he is not, and never wanted to be, is a peer of the realm, responsible for an ancient heritage and the livelihood of hundreds. But when he is recognized as the long-lost son of the House of Wyndham, his carefree life is over. And if his birth proves to be legitimate, then he will find himself with the one title he never wanted: Duke of Wyndham.

Grace Eversleigh has spent the last five years toiling as the companion to the dowager Duchess of Wyndham. It is a thankless job, with very little break from the routine... until Jack Audley lands in her life, all rakish smiles and debonair charm. He is not a man who takes no for an answer, and when she is in his arms, she's not a woman who wants to say no. But if he is the true duke, then he is the one man she can never have...



Review

In the words of Mrs. Broadmouse, I do love a good love story. And Julia Quinn delivers romance beautifully. Looking back over my to read list, I realize that I have quite a number of her books listed there. But this wasn't one of them. However, when I came upon it in the book store, I just had to have it.  Sexy highwaymen? Sign me up, I didn't need to read more of the blurb than that.

Where should I begin? I think Quinn's style deserves commentary. It's utterly witty and charming and just made me laugh. It was odd, but the style reminded me strongly of Austen. Probably because every time Jack said some sly remark that was poking fun at everyone and everything I thought of an Austen quote that I love, “For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?”  Because Jack made fun of everything, but really, he was laughing at life and I love that he could do that because life is so serious sometimes. I applaud the humour and wit in this book. Ms. Quinn has won herself a die hard fan. 

On the topic of Jack, I don't think anyone can help but fall in love with this character. He is too charming. I truly appreciated his sense of humour, and I appreciated how nice a man he really was. He really wants to do right, and he certainly never really tries to seduce Grace. I think he adored her too much, he also wants to do right by her. I like that he only makes love to her after he's decided he wants to marry her.

Grace is wonderfully good. No wonder Jack fell in love with her. She somehow even manages to feel sorry for the dowager duchess (who reminds me so strongly of Lady Catherine from Pride and Prejudice that the two have almost become one in my mind) who no one likes at all. Even Grace doesn't like her. But for one small fraction of a second, when Grace breaks through to this old bat, as Jack likes to call her, I do feel sorry for the dowager duchess. The old duchess, it seems, has very little...while having everything. It was sad actually, to realize that. But that's how good hearted Grace is, she manages to bring to the surface the best of this old, bitter woman, if only for a moment.

I'm very excited for the next read in this little series, called Mr. Cavendish, I Presume? which will feature the now ex-duke of Wyndham, Jack's cousin, Thomas who I already like. I think he's very much like Jack actually, but I'll have to read and see. But I think that will be one fiery romance between him and Amelia.

I adored this read. I want to go out and read more of her, like right now. From the polished, ironical writing, to the well developed, charming characters (and they each charm you, in their own way) this is romance at it's finest I think.

5 glittering stars

 
 
Oh, and by the way. I just recently read a wonderful YA novel by Kelly Creagh, called Nevermore. You might have noticed it on my currently reading widget a while back. It was an absolutely awesome read and I have to read it all over again to do a proper review. But I wanted to let you all know it's a 5 glittering star and that you need to read it if you are a fan of YA. Or even if you're not, this is was really very different than any YA I've read.
 
Here are the pictures of the covers of the two books in the series for you.
 
 
Book One in the Nevermore series
 
Book Two in the Nevermore series
 
 
That's everything for today!!
 



Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Should I admit I haven't ever read a Julia Quinn book? But you made this one sound fabulous. Must get to it soon! Great review, thanks! :)

Also, speaking of those YA books, were they very creepy? I've been a little hesitant to try them as I am afraid they may freak me out. (I admit it, I'm a scaredy-cat.)

Jewels E said...

No, I didn't find them creepy. There was some creepy stuff at the end, but it wasn't horribly bad.